- Investigating biologically mediated fluxes/changes and vertical transport processes from plankton to benthos, and developing flux budgets for the key elements nitrogen and carbon;
- Investigating eco-physiological and taxonomic interactions between organisms and the environment, and developing methods to quantify the effects of pollutants;
- Quantifying the exchange among the eutrophic, productive waters of coastal areas, the oligotrophic waters of the central Baltic, and the anoxic the deep basins;
- Biological monitoring of the open Baltic Sea within HELCOM’s Baltic Monitoring Program;
- Studying ecological systems and their changes/variability in relation to anthropogenic/climatic influences;
- Coastal zone management.
Our researchers also represent the traditional disciplines of phytoplanktology, zooplanktology, microbiology and physiology of benthic organisms.
Tel.: +49 (381) 5197 201
Fax: +49 (381) 5197 211